Reason to Run # 116 -- I Run because.... it keeps me present

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

After a few days of walking, I started my running program by doing my 1-2 exercise. I did 1 minute of running and 2 minutes of walking, for 30 minutes. Going level-up after meant doing 2-1, 2 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking. (I still maintain that "doubling" the effort that time still feels like the most difficult thing I've done in my running career. Haha.)

Even now, running is still a "painful" activity for me. It still takes so much of me to do it. While some people get their best ideas when they run, I can only afford to think about reaching the next lamp post, or finishing the next minute at the treadmill.

More often than not, I hate this pathetic state of health and stamina of mine.

But then, I realized that I am blessed that way. Running is one of the very few instances that I am fully present. When I don't worry about schedules or things to do. The inability to do high-level processing (and worrying) allows me to focus on the simple things. The sunlight on my face. The wind on my back. The sweat on my forehead. The tufts of white in the blue sky. The cadence of feet pounding on the asphalt. The joy of the finish line.

I'd try to be more forgiving of myself. Huffin' and puffin' at turtle pace is still a blessing in disguise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP